About Skybox Imaging:
Skybox Imaging empowers global businesses to make better decisions with timely, high fidelity imagery and infinite analytics. By combining the power of web technologies and a constellation of high-resolution imaging satellites, Skybox is generating a unique data source describing daily global activity with timely, accessible, sub-meter color imagery and high definition video of the Earth. Founded in 2009, Skybox Imaging is backed by leading venture firms and comprised of internet and aerospace professionals.
For more information, read about the Skybox story in Wired, watch a talk by the founders at Stanford, and see images and video taken by SkySat-1 on the Skybox gallery.
- Working closely with Flight Operations, Tech Ops, Imaging specialists, Orbitology experts, mathematicians, Engineers of every kind, product managers, program managers, Big Data experts. The opportunity to work with anyone could arise at any time. At Skybox people jump in to do what's needed.
- Using test-driven development (TDD) to build software for Mission Operations Center and Remote Ground Stations.
- Refactoring mercilessly.
- Pair programming wherever possible.
- Collaborating very closely with QA professionals.
- Working to further the strategic and tactical objectives of Skybox. No, this is not just slinging code.
- Providing leadership and guidance to junior software engineers.
What you absolutely must bring to this job:
- At least 5 years of solid experience with Java, C# or C++. Decent working knowledge of a scripting language like Ruby or Python. Working knowledge of relational databases and SQL.
- Solid experience with modern software architectures, technologies, tools, techniques.
- At least 5 years of in-the-trenches experience in software development
- A hunger for doing it right. The first time. With tests.
- A drive for constant improvement.
- The stomach to take on a bit of technical debt when Skybox's mission demands it, and the fortitude and maturity to go back and fix it as soon as you can.
- The ability to stand up for what you believe is right for Skybox.
- A sense of humor. Seriously.
- A passion for writing beautiful code.
- US citizenship or permanent residence. (Sorry, that's a requirement outside our control.)
It sure would be great if you could also…
- be a TDD expert, with several years of TDD and refactoring experience.
- have a good knowledge of the GoF patterns, what they're good for and why they matter. (Bonus points if you can identify the pattern the GoF most regret including in the book, and why.)
- know tons about Hadoop and Big Data
- have opinions about NoSQL
- have architected large, distributed enterprise systems
- have knowledge and experience with Orbital mechanics and astrodynamics
- have designed and implemented a Continuous Delivery pipeline
However, if any one of the following applies, I guarantee you won't be happy at Skybox:
- You consider programming to be just a job, like working at the car wash, delivering mail, or serving grande non-fat decaf extra choc no whip mochas.
- You think you already know everything there is to know about programming, computer science or software development.
- You failed to read this posting carefully and you do not have one of the "must bring to this job" items.
- You have 5 years of experience, but it's really just one year repeated five times.
- You think Test-Driven Development is not worthwhile.
- You don't really know what Skybox does.
Must be US citizen or permanent resident.
EOE/AA M/F/D/V Employer
Please - No recruiting agencies, and no phone calls